The History of the Original Unit
An artillery unit formed from citizens of Fluvanna County, Virginia during the American Civil War. The Fluvanna Artillery participated in the Antietam and Gettysburg Campaigns as well as the Shenandoah Valley Campaign of 1864 under Confederate General Jubal Early.
Following the excitement of the Battle of Fort Sumter, the governor of
Virginia placed a ordered that units be raised from around the Commonwealth and sent to Richmond in order to defend the state. Fluvanna County was quick to respond to the governor's calls. The first artillery unit formed in Fluvanna County was the "Sons of Fluvanna" and was formed on May 20, 1861. The unit trained locally until it was ordered to report to Richmond on June 18, 1861. The Sons of Fluvanna boarded canal boats for the trip to Richmond. The Kawanah Canal mirrored the course of the James River through central Virginia until the canal reaches Richmond at the Fall Line. Upon arrival the men were sent to Richmond College (or the University of Richmond as it is known today) for more training and drill. It was at Richmond College where the unit was issued their first cannons and horses. At first the unit was without either due to shortages in the state.
On September 3, 1861 the Sons of Fluvanna moved from Richmond to join the main Confederate Army at Manassas. Many of the men remarked at the number of local women who gave them food and cheered them along their journey north to Manansas.
The unit became defunct, along with the rest of the Army of the Valley, after their capture at the close of the Battle of Waynesboro, VA on March 2, 1865. After capture, they were marched to Stephensons Depot. They were then loaded on to box cars and shipped north to Baltimore, Maryland. Their final destination was Fort Delaware Prison. Members were paroled between June 21 and 22, 1865.